Big, bulky, sculptural coats took the runways by storm for Fall/Winter 2013, appearing in nearly every high-end collection, from Céline to Alexander Wang. This is clearly the outerwear trend to adapt next season. But therein lies the big question: How should you wear them? I've put together a few styling tips:
- Balance out the bulk on top with slim bottoms, like tights, skinnies or super tailored trousers.
- Skip the scarf. This trend is mostly about clean minimalism and a sharp lapel, so the less you can have complicating things, the better.
- Carry a clutch. There's no way you're slinging a crossbody bag over those sculpted shoulders, and straps may detract from the cool silhouette.
- Keep your footwear graceful and minimal. Chunky platforms or grungy boots could make you look like an ogre as opposed to a modern-day Jackie O.
- Start with a neutral solid color, like grey or camel, before moving into edgier prints.
photos via style.com